Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Training Update + My "New" Bike

First of all, I know it's been a while, but here's a little update. My actual tri training schedule started 3 weeks ago, and it's been going really well. I have done at least 4 of my 6 workouts every week. I have a hard time doing every single one, but I've come a long way. Last Thursday I had my long run, and I ran 44 minutes on my new treadmill (thanks Clint) without stopping. It was awesome. I had my heart rate up pretty high for most of the run (155-160), but I was able to sustain my speed and everything, so I was really happy. It was pretty huge for me. I think I'm doing a 5K on May 3, and I feel like I'll actually be ready, so I'm excited.

The other news of late is that I got a "new" bike. My father-in-law gave me an old ('81) Bianchi roadie that he got as payment for some furniture he built. It was basically way too big for me, and I talked to a friend of mine who had an old bike that was too small for him. We ended up trading, and now I'm the proud new owner of a 1996 Specialized M2 Comp, complete with Araya aero wheels and blade spokes. It's a pretty awesome bike, and It'll make a nice commuter. I think it's the first 105 with integrated shifters, and it's an 8-speed. The best part is that he had changed the handlebars, but he gave me the original ones along with some yellow bar tape, so I taped them up myself. I didn't do an amazing job, but it was really fun. Here are some pics of the old and new bikes.


The bummer is that I actually gained a pound at my last weigh in. I'm not too worried because my fitness is improving and everything, but I need to be more serious about eating less and what not. Thanks everyone for all your support.

7 comments:

Dukes said...

Good job!! I'm proud of you for working so hard. You inspire me to think about walking on the treadmill... :)

mikila said...

That's awesome. We hear you have become a little work out machine! But that's great and it inspires me to want to start working out here pretty soon! Keep up the good work!

Clint said...

Awesome bike!

You are so inspiring. You've even got your pregnant wife thinking about getting on the treadmill. Probably just like I'm thinking about eating better. Oh well.

I did my first long run in a long time this morning. 1:15. I thought I was going to die. Thank goodness for x-files.

Amy D said...

Cole, you rock!!! I'm so proud of you for doing that 44-minute run! It's really inspiring, especially tonight, because I have a 48-minute run looming over my head. About the 30 minute mark, I'll be thinking of you and trying my best to keep going. Congrats on the new bike too!

Dukefamily5 said...

Way to go Cole! You are doing so great. Keep up the good work!

Dukefamily5 said...

Way to go Cole! You are doing so great. Keep up the good work!

Heidi said...

Cole man,
That Bianchi looked like it would have been a pretty sweet ride. I love that celeste color! To bad it wasn't the right size. You can't go wrong with the speacialized though. Good job on your progress. I don't know if I have the guts to come down to Provo to ride now. Sounds like I'll get my but kicked! Keep it up!