Saturday, February 2, 2008

Another saturday roller ride

Today I rode my rollers for 1.5 hours active (2:00 total). I ended up stopping for a little while because our neighbors came over and I was talking to them. In all, it was a good ride. I rested every so often and stood up off my saddle, and that helped my butt not get sore. I watched the end of Godfather 2 and listened to some more loud music.

Here are a few things I've noticed since I started training. First of all, my heart rate drops a lot faster than it used to after I stop pedaling. I vaguely remember hearing a long time ago that this can be a small measure of endurance or fitness or some such thing. Anyways, hopefully that's a good sign. Also, I feel a lot more comfortable on my bike. I think, in addition to my flexibility increasing, I'm also just getting used to the saddle and handlebars and stuff. I also find that I get bored more and more easily on the rollers, so here's hoping we have a short winter so I can ride outside soon. 

Also, here are my tentative plans for the Summer. I'm going to do a century at the beginning of May, a sprint tri on June 21, and I'll be doing Spudman (Olympic) on July 26. Then I might do some kind of running event in the fall, like a half marathon or something. We'll see.

For this next week, I'm going to stick to the rollers. I'm going to try to get 6 hours total for the week (1 on Monday and Thursday, 2 on Wednesday and Saturday). Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Amy D said...

Good for you, Cole! I'm impressed!

Amy D said...

AND, just so you know, I emptied the trash on our desktop just for you!

Carl said...

Nice work....I do think the drop in heartrate is an indication of increased fitness.

I think if you are averaging 6 hours on your bike a week and throw in some running you are going to start to see some drastic changes in fitness and body composition.

Lets do a run together in the spring. I know you hate it but you should start working in some running now, as it will give your joints and body more time to become accustomed to the wear and tear of running.

Just start with 1 minute on 1 minute off for your running and start under 3 mile distances. Go to the indoor track and you can really reduce any impact on joints and body. You will be glad you did and MARK MY WORDS, you will get to the point where you will enjoy your running just as much as you like your biking!

Heidi said...

Keep it up, keep it up! I to remember reading that as you increase in overall fitness your heart rate recovers quicker...I've got an article that I should e mail you about intervals on your bike...if you don't see it in a couple of days remind me to send it to you!

Clint said...

Nice work! That is a lot of roller time. I did an hour last night (I don't know how much active, because I fell down quite a few times, but I'm getting better.)

I'm with Carl on the running. Your body needs time to work up to running any distance, so you should be getting your legs going a little bit now if you are going to do triathlons this season. I also agree that it can be as enjoyable as biking, as long as you are watching x-files.q