Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I Made My Goal!!!!!

I checked an old post to verify, and on January 19 I made a goal to be able to ride non-stop for an hour keeping cadence above 70 rpm. And, I wanted to be able to do it by the end of January. And I mean non-stop. I didn't want to stop pedaling for a second during the whole hour. That's actually one of the hardest things about riding rollers is the fact that you can't coast. When you stop pedaling, your wheels stop moving and you have to hold yourself up. I know it seems like a weird goal, but I thought it would be a good way to measure some kind of progress. Plus, it helps to break the monotony of training on rollers. 

Well, since Wednesday is one of my days for long rides (along with Saturday), and since it's the 30th of the month, I figured that tonight was my chance. And, long story short, I did it! You can see the graph below. That's my cadence in purple, and that's not average cadence. That's actual cadence, baby! The red is heart rate, and the little rainbow stripes are heart rate zones, so you can see that I kept it right in zone 3 for almost the entire ride (yellow=zone 3). You can see that I went a little over an hour. Anyways, I'm so excited. I know it's a small accomplishment, but I really feel like I've come a long way. I'm still afraid of running, but that will come with time. For now, I feel like I'm making progress towards my bigger goals. Now, I'm going to go rest my butt. 


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Cole! You are doing great!

Carl said...

Nice job...I guarantee if you can do this running will be a piece of cake. Before you know it you will be running for an hour straight without stopping as well.

Carl said...

Listen I don't mean to be a party pooper but upon further examination of the graph (see minute 28:00) I believe you may have dropped below a cadence of 70. It looks maybe even as low as 68.

Sorry Cole but I will have to retract my earlier congratulations.

Cole Duke said...

Thanks Annie.

Oh, and I never like you Carl.

Dukes said...

Way to go!!

tribro said...

nicely done, keep it up!

Amy D said...

Cole, that's awesome! And you're awesome! I'm just impressed you can do rollers. Clint tried them last week (his friend lent him his) and he fell off...ahem...a few times. But heck, at least he tried. I'm too much of a wimp to even try! Great job, Cole.

Cole Duke said...

I still have to put a video on the blog. I'm sure I look pretty funny while I ride them. Anyways, thanks for the words of encouragement.

mikila said...

You're doing so great. It's awesome you made your goal before the end of the month!

Heidi said...

Cole...You rock!! I don't care what Carl says. The nice thing about even a little success is that it is just that success! Small goals accomplished lead to bigger goals accomplished. Running will be a piece of cake. I usually hate to run but when I am out of town I have been running on the treadmill in the hotel...at first I could only go 20 minutes or so I am up to about 40 now...I really credit alot of my running progress to the cycling I have been doing (atleast 3 times and usually 4 times a week on the trainer). I will ask you to start cooling it a bit though you're gonna kick all our butts come spring!!