Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Good Tri Book

I'm almost done with this book called "Breakthrough Triathlon Training" by Brad Kearns, and I've really liked it. It talks about a lot of things, but one thing is how you should have a few really long workouts every week (1 or 2) instead of 5 or 6 medium distance workouts. There are a lot of reasons, but basically it's so you're ready for the long ones, and so you're ready for the race because you only race for one day. Anyways, I'm going to be doing my long rides/runs on Wednesday and Saturday. Then I'll have Tuesday and Friday completely off, and I'll work as hard as I can on the other days. 

Also, he talked about how people are afraid to stay in the aerobic heart rate zone, even though it really helps you get faster and lose weight, so I'm going to stay completely in Zone 3 for now. I think I'll stick with cycling for the next month or so, because I think I need to lose a little more weight before I start running seriously, because I don't want to do more harm than good. I'll also be doing some swimming if I can get my butt out of bed and to the pool. 

No comments: